Bechamel Green Bean Casserole
This is one of our family favorites. Using fresh beans and mushrooms, combined with a seasoned white sauce, this tasty side dish will have your family clamoring for more.
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 -4 teaspoons dry ranch dressing mix
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 1⁄4 lbs fresh green beans
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs, toasted or 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- Boil green beans in lightly salted water 8-10 minutes, or until crisp-tender.
- To make white sauce, melt butter in medium saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in flour; cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Using a wire whisk, stir in milk; bring to a boil.
- Cook, whisking constantly 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in dressing mix and white pepper; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray medium skillet with non-stick cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until tender.
- Remove half of onion mixture; set aside.
- Add mushrooms to onion mixture remaining in skillet and cook about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Combine skillet mushroom mixture, green beans and white sauce in a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Combine bread crumbs with reserved onion mixture; sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake, UNCOVERED, 20-30 minutes, or until heated through.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This recipe was really good and a great replacement for the standard green bean casserole, which is filled with canned stuff. I prefer fresh and natural. I made this for thanksgiving and everyone liked it (except my sister and I) and everyone either said they didn't like green bean casserole or had never tried it. My sister and I did not like the ranch dressing mix flavor. I would like to try this again without the ranch dressing and using other seasonings. Thanks for sharing!Reply
This was very good. I did use a whole package of dressing mix, a little more garlic (we love garlic) and I had used my frozen green beans so I used 3 cans of green beans which turned out fine. I couldn't use the fresh mushrooms because my daughter is allergic to them...one day I will fix it for my DH and myself with them because I'm sure it adds alot of flavor.Reply
see 5 more