Beans & Sausage - Crock Pot
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 20mins
- 1 lb sausage
- 1⁄4 cup water (if using fresh sausage)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small bell peppers, any color, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their juice
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- salt and pepper
- In an ungreased skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage. If using fully cooked or smoked sausage, slice and set aside. If using fresh sausage, add the water, cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes until completely cooked through. Uncover and cook a few minutes more. Cool and slice.
- In a clean skillet, heat the oil over medium. Add the peppers, onion and garlic, stirring just until tender.
- Transfer to the slow cooker and add the sausage, beans, tomatoes and their juice, and wine. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours, or LOW for 6 to 8 hours. Near the end of the cooking time, check the consistency and cook with the lid off to thicken if desired.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!