Basic Ice Cream
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- bring cream and half-and-half to a simmer. add flavors to it during this step. turn off heat.
- whisk egg yolks and sugar together until yolks lighten.
- temper yolk mixture my adding a small amount of the hot cream mixture, and whisk to combine. add remaining cream mixture to combine, and return heat.
- heat on low until mixture thickens slightly, stirring (not whisking) continuously.
- strain, and refrigerate until cool, 2-4 hours.
- freeze in an ice cream maker. if solids or chunks are desired, stir in after freezing in machine, but before freezing hard in freezer.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!