Basic Garam Masala (Indian Spice)
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 3 bay leaves
- 40 g cumin seeds (1 1/2 oz)
- 25 g coriander seeds (1 oz)
- 20 g green cardamom seeds (3/4 oz) or 20 g black cardamom seeds (3/4 oz)
- 20 g black peppercorns (3/4 oz)
- 15 g cloves (1/2 oz)
- 15 g ground mace (1/2 oz)
- Break the cinnamon sticks into pieces. Crumble the bay leaves. Heat a heavy frying pan and after 2-3 minutes put in the whole spices. Dry roast over a medium heat until the color darkens, stirring or shaking the pan frequently to prevent burning. Leave to cool, then grind and blend with the mace. In an airtight container, the mixture will keep for 3-4 months.
- * To make a mild and subtle Moghul Masala, use only green cardamoms, cinnamon, black peppercorns, mace and a few cloves.
- * For a hot Gujerati Masala, add sesame seeds, fennel seeds, ajowan seeds and chiles.
- * For a mildish Kashmiri Masala, use black cumin seeds, green cardamoms, black peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, mace, and add a little grated nutmeg.
- * For a hot Parsi Dhansak Masala, add fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, chiles and ground turmeric, and double the amount of coriander seeds.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Hi and thanks for visiting my AM page. My name is Vicki and I love to cook. I've always been an avid collector of recipes and cookbooks - in fact I have over 1200 cookbooks on my computer alone.</p> 8724165"