Barney J's Polish Potato Soup
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
The ONLY recipe my father ever had. NOTE: I didn't say HE ever MADE it; that was my mother's job! A pure potato soup, no cheese, bacon, dill or other exotic ingredients. A true peasant recipe.
- Ready In:
- 1 large onion, cubed very fine
- 3 stalks celery, cut not too fine
- 5 large potatoes, cubed
- 1 pinch sugar
- 3 cups water, to boil potatoes
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes (optional) or 2 vegetable bouillon cubes (optional)
- 1⁄2 1/2 pint half-and-half or 1/2 pint milk
- salt and pepper (no salt if using bouillon)
- Saute celery and onion in a little butter until slightly tender but not brown.
- Cook potatoes and pinch of sugar in 3 cups of water until tender. (If using bouillon cubes, add before boiling potatoes. Use NO Salt in the water if using the bouillon cubes. Add in the celery and onions.
- Add 1/2 pint of sweet cream (can use milk), bring to simmer. Or use half-and-half.
- Add salt (if needed) and pepper to taste. Paprika for coloring. Sprinkle with parsley.
- You can sneak in a pat of butter before serving.
- Cooking Tips: Add as much milk or cream as necessary to suit your taste.
- Mash or crush potatoes to suit your taste. Or not!
- Don't sub or add dry milk; it gives an off-flavor.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I loved this! It was kind of like eating mashed potatoes in soup form - in a good way. I really enjoyed the simplicity of it. I've tried all of those loaded-baked-potato type of soups and, while some were very good, I prefer this one. It's also very inexpensive to make - a nice bonus. Thanks for a great recipe!Reply