Baked Potato Soup (Thick & Creamy)
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 1 lb bacon, diced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 bunch green onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 4 -5 large potatoes, baked, peeled, and diced (can bake ahead of time)
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 8 ounces schredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 bunch sliced green onion
- In a dutch oven or large kettle over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon drippings into a cup.
- Put 2 Tablespoons of bacon drippings back into the pan along witht the butter, chopped onions and celery.
- Cook, stirring, until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the sliced green onions and flour until blended.
- Stir in the chicken broth; cover and continue cooking, rfrequently, until the mixture is thickened and vegetables are very tender.
- Stir in 1/2&1/2, diced potatoes, salt, pepper, and cheese.
- Continue cooking until cheese is melted.
- Blend about 1/3 of the soup in batches until smooth.
- Add the blended soup back into the pot and add sour cream.
- Cook, stirring constantly, (don't walk away at all) until soup is hot.
- Serve the soup garnished with bacon and extra sliced green onions, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!