Authentic Vegetarian Ukrainian Borscht
photo by onlyglutenfreerecip
- Ready In:
1 1/2 cups
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 medium green cabbage head, roughly shredded
- 2 organic carrots, roughly shredded
- 2 small white potatoes, cut to small bite size
- 1 large organic beet, roughly shredded
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drain and rinse (chick peas)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh organic dill
- 1 tablespoon organic gluten free apple cider
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 hot chili pepper, chopped and seeded (optional)
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- Add olive oil into a large soup pot and heat, then add onions and sauté for 5 minutes on low heat, add caraway seeds and sauté another minute. Add balance of ingredients except garlic and topping and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and serve with a scoop of yogurt or sour cream and garnish with dill.
- For the topping ~ use scoop of plain Greek yogurt or sour cream and garnish with fresh dill.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!