This is a meatless (not vegetarian) Borscht, and even my husband, who MUST have meat with every meal, loves this! Sometimes we make it in summer and serve it cold. It's very tasty! It came from a cookbook many years ago, but I can't remember which one. And I've changed it over the years and I do my own thing, there is no need to measure any of the veggies, it always turns out wonderful. So eyeball it! (Your food processor will come in mighty handy for shredding all these veggies!) Enjoy!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 2 cups shredded peeled beets
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper, to taste (I use Johnny's)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- sour cream, for doppling
- Cook beets, carrots and onion in the 3 cans beef broth for 20 minutes.
- Add cabbage and butter, and cook uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Now let it sit (but you don't have to), for an hour or so. Reheat or leave at temperature and serve with sour cream.
- This is better the next day!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
About to rely on your recipe. Have you tried this without cabbage? I have white sweet potatoes as well as large potatoes for baking. I saw but can't find now half a tip from zone ne who had cauliflower w potato. I have m cauli, and also wonder whether paprika would be tasty. New to making borscht, cold for summer, thank you.
Can you specify the first 2 steps of the instructions? The 1st just says cook the veg with the broth. There are no specifics on what temperature (medium, medium-high, etc). The 2nd step says cook uncovered, which may imply that in the 1st step, you need to cover the pot. Some clarification would be greatly appreciated.