Apple Molasses Bread
A fragrant, spicy bread.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup dark molasses
- 1 cup raisins (optional) or 1 cup craisins (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat a 9-inch x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and spices; set aside.
- Combine applesauce and molasses.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with applesauce mixture to egg mixture. Fold in raisins and nuts.
- Pour into loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes, remove from pan and continue cooling on a wire rack.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
After reading all the other reviews & the problem with getting this loaf done inside before the outside got black, I decided (as a temporary fix) to make this in an 8-inch loaf pan & use the rest of the batter for a couple of small loaves, baked accordingly! I included raisins & nuts here & all those great spices as listed! Had a great tasting loaf &, as with others, look to making this again during the fall/winter holidays! Thanks for a great bread! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Every Day Is a Holiday cooking game]
Well I LOVED this bread! I am a huge fan of anything with all those wonderful spices so I added a bit more nutmeg and cinnamon to the recipe since they are favorites but followed the recipe exactly with the dried cranberries and chopped almonds added to the bread. Now I just need to find a candle that smells just like this bread until I make it again so my house will smell so nice all the time! Thanks for posting! Tagged in Went to Market Game and boy I'm glad I did!!
I made this without any raisins or nuts to fit current needs. It's really lovely, think applesauce gingerbread and you've pretty much got it. It's dense and moist but not over-so. I used 1/4 cup sugar and 3/4 cup Splenda. It certainly spreads a lovely aroma as it bakes. This will be a repeat (I'll add nuts next time) and I'm already thinking how perfect it will be in the fall and for the holidays. Made for ZWT.