Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup golden brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons golden brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 lb granny smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Butter and flour 9-inch square pan.
- Mix flour, brown sugar, sugar, 2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, salt and ginger in large bowl.
- Add oil and stir until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Transfer 3/4 cup of mixture to small bowl.
- Stir remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon into mixture in small bowl and reserve for topping.
- Mix baking soda and baking powder into flour mixture in large bowl.
- Add apples. Whisk buttermilk and egg in another small bowl to blend.
- Add to apple mixture and stir just until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle reserved topping evenly over.
- Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Transfer to rack and cool slightly.
- Serve coffee cake warm or at room temperature.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This coffee cake is super moist, nicely spiced and packed with apples! I used a couple of large pink ladies and powdered buttermilk but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. And yes, it really did take an hour and twenty minutes to cook! I divided the pan into 9 HUGE squares and froze them individually for weekday breakfasts - they thaw beautifully. Thanks for posting!