American Indian Fry Bread
- Ready In:
5-6 Rounds of Bread
- Mix all dry ingredients well. Add enough water to make biscuit like dough.
- Take about 3 Tablespoons of dough, make into ball and roll in flour.
- Using hands stretch to thin flat rounds (like pancakes).
- Make two 1 inch slits in the center of the round.
- (I just poke my finger through to make two holes.).
- Fry in oil at 365 degrees until lightly browned, turning once.
- The oil should be about 2 inches deep in pan, keeping oil hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Back in 1997 I went to an Indian Festival and tasted these wonderful versatile fried dough. Then when I was in Tucson, AZ recently, I went to San Xavier Mission as I heard that Indian vendors sold authentic frybread there. They sold two versions one savory and one sweet. This recipe is amazingly delicious and will definitely go in my Best of 2013 Cookbook. I made the sweet version sprinklerd with sugar and cinnamon. Thanks for posting! Made for 2013 Spring PAC.