Always Perfect Pie Crust or Pastry
Before you get rolling, with floured hands, shape dough into a disk. Sprinkle with just a little flour. This makes rolling easy. The cooking time is chill time!
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 3 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 - 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 3⁄4 cups unsalted butter, cold and cut up
- 2⁄3 cup water, ice cold
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- In a very large bowl combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Cut in butter leaving pea sized chunks.
- In a 2 cup glass measure whisk water, sour cream, and vinegar; pour, all at once into flour mixture, and quickly distribute. Stop!
- Make sure dough is slightly crumbly. Divide dough mixture into 3 equal portions (about 12 to 13 ounces each) Refrigerate for 2 hours and best overnight (finish by hand). DO NOT OVER MIX- the finished dough should break, not stretch.
- Gently knead in bag to bring dough together. Form into discs.
- Use at once or wrap and store in refrigerator for several days or in freezer for up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in refrigerator if frozen.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I finally made a pie crust that was edible, thank you Annacia!! Made in my food processor so this was super easy and did use 1/2 tablespoon of kosher salt. Refrigerated overnight and froze the other two discs. Made an apple pie with crumble topping and flaky delicious pie crust. Made and reviewed for the 1-2-3 Hits Tag Game.