Agave Key Lime Tart
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
Whole Wheat Pate Brisee
- 8 tablespoons butter, cold and unsalted, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar (Amber or Light)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 -4 tablespoons ice cold water, as needed
KEY LIME FILLING
- 3⁄4 cup agave nectar (Amber or Light)
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 7 tablespoons key lime juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees with rack in the center of the oven.
- For the crust: Place the flour in a bowl and whisk in salt. Add butter and blend until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the agave nectar. Work mixture with fingertips until dough comes together in moist clumps, adding water by teaspoonfuls if dry. Do not overwork the dough.
- Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic; chill until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Press the dough firmly and evenly into the tart pan. Press the pastry in where the sides meet the bottom to make a right angle or the dough will be too thick there. Prick the dough in several places with a fork and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake until the dough is set, about 12 to 14 minutes.
- For the filling: While the tart shell is baking, whisk the agave nectar, eggs and key lime juice.
- When the shell is ready, pull the baking sheet out while still on the oven rack and pour in the filling without removing the pie crust from the oven. Slowly slide the rack back in and reduce the heat to 350 degrees. Bake until the filling is firm and just set in the center, about 25 to 35 minutes. Cool and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!