Adzuki Bean Bake
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 small squash, peeled and crushed
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 celery rib, trimmed and sliced
- 2 cups water, just boiled
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon, organic (stock)
- 5 3⁄4 ounces adzuki beans, cooked
- 1 leek, trimmed and sliced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch or 2 teaspoons arrowroot, blended with
- 1 tablespoon cold water, to make smooth paste
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/8-inch slices
- Heat oil in large saucepan with a tiny bit of water, so you are water sauteing really-not frying in the normal sense of the word.
- Gently water saute onions and garlic for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add squash,carrot and celery, cook with onion and garlic for 2 minutes-stirring regularly.
- Pour just boiled water over the vegetable mix and stir in the bouillon powder.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven 390°F.
- Stir the sliced leek and adzuki beans into the veggie mix.
- Return to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cornstarch or arrowroot mixture and cook for about 1 minute or until the sauce thickens to your liking, stirring.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a 3 3/4 cup ovenproof dish.
- Arrange slices of the sweet potato on top of the bean and veggie mix.
- Brush with a little oil and bake for about 30 minutes until the potato is soft.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!