A Genuine Nestle's Milo Clone!
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons malt extract
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons powdered milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cocoa
- 1⁄16 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- add up to an extra 2 tsp's sugar (for improved sweetness)
TO MAKE UP 250g WORTH AT ONCE
- 1⁄2 cup malt extract, plus
- 2 tablespoons malt extract
- 3⁄4 cup powdered milk, plus
- 2 tablespoons powdered milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- add up to an extra 1/2 cup sugar (for improved sweetness)
- Mix the above ingredients thoroughly (preferably running them through a sieve).
- Over a medium heat, stir this mixture into a saucepan with 1 U.S Cup of water (or milk - or a combination of the two! - as is your wont).
- Allow it to simmer gently, but do not bring it to a full boil (as this will negatively affect the flavor profile).
- After 5 to 10 minutes, turn the heat off, and adjust the sweetness by adding in an extra 1 to 2 tsps more of your favorite sweetener (Sugar, Xylitol, Dextrose, etc)!
- And enjoy a drink of warm, comforting MILO; made by your own hand!
- The stated tsp measurements are actual proper measuring spoons; with each of the powders leveled out with precision. The Cup volume references a U.S Measuring Cup (i.e. 236ml). For any Aussies out there, 250ml is close enough, though. Malt Extract can be bought from any brewery store. Just make sure it is sourced from barley (not wheat), and that it is NON-diastatic! Also, make sure it is pure, with no additives whatsoever. Xylitol and/or dextrose can be subbed equally with the sugar (i.e. sub sweetener on a 1 to 1 basis). Finally, whilst the colour will be identical to the MILO we're all familiar with, the granulation will be completely different! MILO is made with a unique process that really can't be repeated at home, but fear not; for it's the taste that matters! Enjoy, my friends!
Questions & Replies
Is it just me I have that feeling it's close to the store-bought version? Store-bought Milo Ingredients: EXTRACT OF MALT BARLEY OR MALT BARLEY AND RICE (TOTAL EXTRACT 38%), MILK SOLIDS, SUGAR, COCOA, MINERALS (CALCIUM, IRON), MALTODEXTRIN (CORN), VITAMINS (C, B3, B6, B2, D, B12), EMULSIFIER (SOY LECITHIN)
see 1 more questions
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!