100% Fruit and Nut Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 500 g mixed dried fruit
- 250 g dates
- 250 g ground almonds
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (gluten-free if needed)
- Soak the dried fruit in 2 cups boiling water for as long as possible (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cover the dates with water in a saucepan and simmer for about 5 minutes until soft and toffeeish (adding more water is needed).
- Drain the fruit and mix with the dates (if you're not making it for children, you can add a splash of Cointreau or brandy if you want).
- Mix in the almonds and baking powder, adding a bit more water if the mixture seems too dry. Mix well then put in round cake tin.
- Bake about 1 1/2 hours or until a skewer comes out clean (check after an hour, will depend on size of tin, covering with foil after about 30 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My name's Fi, I'm 23 and I'm at uni atm in my final year studying Philosophy and Literature. I love reading and writing, and hope to do a postgrad course in Folklore and Creative Writing. I'm kind of obsessed with fairy tales, especially Hans Christian Andersen, and I'm a total Harry Potter geek! I love cooking, and I'm also kind of a health freak so I like adapting recipes to make them more healthy, although I love to cook food for other people too. I don't really eat dairy (I had an intolerance when I was younger), and have recently developed a reaction to wheat so I like being creative with what I cook! <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg">