Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
A delicious substitution for the plums would be apricots. From the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
- Sift dry ingredients for cake together.
- Cut in butter and well mixed, make a well in the center; add egg yolks and water and mix well.
- Turn out on a well-floured board and knead for a few minutes.
- Place in refrigerator to chill for one hour before using.
- Wen cold, roll dough into a thin sheet and cover bottom of 13 x 9 inch cake pan.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs and dot generously with butter.
- Mix the egg yolks, sugar and cream together; reserve.
- Wash plums, cut into halves and remove stones.
- Arrange fruit in rows on top of the bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup of sugar; pour cream mixture over the top.
- Bake in 350F oven for 45 minutes.
This was delicious! The bottom crust is like a shortbread and the plums on top are sweet and creamy. This is a very nice summer dessert. I added about half the sugar called for at the end because the plums were already very sweet.
Very good! I added some cinnamon (because we in Croatia always put cinnamon with plums, apples and poppy seeds). I had some surplus of dough so I grated it over the top. Really very good, it will become my usual season cake. Thanks!