Recipe by mollypaul
A delicious substitution for the plums would be apricots. From the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
Top Review by wholefoodie
This was delicious! The bottom crust is like a shortbread and the plums on top are sweet and creamy. This is a very nice summer dessert. I added about half the sugar called for at the end because the plums were already very sweet.
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 lbs plums (fresh is best but if using canned plums, omit sugar)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift dry ingredients for cake together.
- Cut in butter and well mixed, make a well in the center; add egg yolks and water and mix well.
- Turn out on a well-floured board and knead for a few minutes.
- Place in refrigerator to chill for one hour before using.
- Wen cold, roll dough into a thin sheet and cover bottom of 13 x 9 inch cake pan.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs and dot generously with butter.
- Mix the egg yolks, sugar and cream together; reserve.
- Wash plums, cut into halves and remove stones.
- Arrange fruit in rows on top of the bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup of sugar; pour cream mixture over the top.
- Bake in 350F oven for 45 minutes.