1/2 Photos of Zurcher Geschnetzeltes (Zurich-Style Veal Strips in Cream Sauce)
This is a mouthwatering Swiss specialty dish originating in the town of Zurich, Switzerland. Typically served with Rosti (Swiss hashbrowns), but equally good with mashed potatoes, spaetzle, or dumplings. There are many versions of Geschnetzeltes that can be found throughout the region in restaurants and in home kitchens, alike. I particularly like this version with lemon and parsley.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs veal cutlets, sliced into 1/2 in strips
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 7 ounces cremini mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- paprika (optional)
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (to serve)
- 1Sprinkle the flour over the veal strips, and coat well.
- 2In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, melt half of the butter and half of the oil and as soon as the butter foams, immediately add the meat and quickly brown on all sides. Set aside meat to a dish and cover with foil to keep warm.
- 3Add remaining butter and oil to pan and sauté the onion and garlic for a couple of minutes. Now stir in the mushrooms and lemon zest and cook until mushrooms begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add the wine to deglaze the bottom of the pan, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits. Stir in the veal (and juices!) and cook over low heat for another 10 minutes.
- 5Stir in the cream and season to taste with paprika, salt and pepper. Let bubble for a few minutes until hot, then stir in the lemon juice and serve sprinkled with fresh snipped parsley.
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zurcher Geschnetzeltes (Zurich-Style Veal Strips in Cream Sauce)
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 478.7
- Calories from Fat 300
- Total Fat 33.3 g
- Saturated Fat 16.4 g
- Cholesterol 188.5 mg
- Sodium 178.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 31.7 g