1/1 Photo of Zuppa De Clams (Or Mussels)
This is a delicious Italian first course soup, as good with mussels as it is with clams. The servings are large, so adjust accordingly if desired. Time does not include preparing the clams. This is pretty much the soup I would get when I'd order it in New York family Italian restaurants. You can add a bit of clam broth if you like, but steaming the claims in the broth as is gives it a nice flavor. And in this version, the tomatoes, not paste, would be used.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 48 baby clams (mahogany clams or little necks are fine too, approximately) or 48 mussels
- salt and pepper
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2 -3 garlic cloves (to taste)
- 4 sprigs flat-leaf Italian parsley, rinsed dried and coarsely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon finely minced fresh sweet basil (to taste) (optional)
- 1 (28 ounce) can italian peeled plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped (reserve liquid)
- sliced fresh crusty rustic Italian bread or French bread
- 1Wash and dry the clams and soak them in a large bowl in cold, salted water for about 30 minutes.
- 2Any remaining sand should fall to the bottom of the bowl.
- 3Drain the clams and rinse them well in a colander under running water.
- 4Crush one clove of garlic, and slice the remaining cloves very thin.
- 5In a large, heavy pan, sauté the crushed garlic until it begins to brown, then remove from the pan and discard.
- 6Add the remaining sliced garlic and the parsley.
- 7Cook over very low heat for 2 to 3 minutes, then add the tomatoes and enough liquid to just make a slightly soupy dish.
- 8You don't want too much liquid in this, but judge the amount to your taste.
- 9Season with the salt and pepper, then raise the heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes.
- 10(Add more liquid if necessary).
- 11Add the clams, lower the heat again, cover pan, and let steam for about 10 minutes, or until the shells have opened and the clams are ready.
- 12Discard any unopened clams.
- 13Sprinkle with more freshly ground pepper and the basil, if desired.
- 14(You can substitute a teaspoon of dried if you wish).
- 15Serve in shallow bowls with slices of bread for dunking.
Browse Our Top Clams Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clams Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zuppa De Clams (Or Mussels)
Serving Size: 1 (278 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 358.0
- Calories from Fat 328
- Total Fat 36.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 13.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: