Prep 50 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 2 medium zucchini, about 3 cups sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- pepper, freshly ground
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf Italian parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons fat-free parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat 1/2 Tbsp. oil in a 10-inch, heavy-bottomed, oven-proof skillet. Add onion and saute until tender and translucent. Stir in garlic and zucchini and continue sauteing until squash is just tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat. In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, basil and parsley.
- Stir in sauteed vegetables.
- Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil to same skillet over medium heat, tilting pan to coat bottom and sides.
- Add egg-vegetable mixture, spreading evenly.
- Reduce heat to low and cover pan.
- Cook 10 to 15 minutes, until set. Preheat broiler.
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top of frittata if desired and broil briefly until lightly browned.
- Cut into 3 wedges.
- Serve immediately from the pan or transfer to a large round plate or platter.
Delicious! I used the egg yolks as well, and they did not overpower the zucchini or basil flavouring.