Frittata Di Zucchine (Zucchini Frittata)
- Ready In:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped (optional) or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs zucchini
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley or 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 5 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese (parmesan cheese)
- Preheat broiler (the one in your oven, not the BBQ grill).
- In a small frying pan over medium heat, warm two tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Add the onion and dried thyme (if using it).
- Sauté until the onion wilts (about five minutes).
- Prepare the zucchini by cutting off the stems and blossom ends, cut them in half lengthwise, and then cut them crosswise into thin slices.
- Add the zucchini, cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally (until tender but not mushy- about 10 to 12 minutes).
- Just before the zucchini slices are done, add the fresh thyme (if using it) and the basil OR parsley.
- Place the mixture in a colander to cool and allow excess water to drain out (about ten minutes).
- In a bowl, beat the eggs lightly with a fork.
- Beat in the salt, pepper, and cheese.
- Add the drained cooled zucchini and onion mixture.
- Pour the remaining two tablespoons olive oil in a flameproof 12-inch skillet or omelet pan and place over medium heat.
- When it is hot enough to make the eggs sizzle, pour in the egg mixture, making sure the zucchini mixture is distributed evenly.
- Immediately reduce the heat to low and cook the frittata gently until it is set (about 12-15 minutes).
- Be careful not to overcook the eggs.
- To finish cooking, slide the pan under the preheated broiler six inches from the heat until the top is golden (about 1-2 minutes more).
- Use a spatula to loosen the edges from the pan, slide the frittata out onto a serving plate.
- Serve warm or cold, cut into wedges.
Join The Conversation