I found this recipe by Mark Bittman for the New York Times in today's newspaper. It is a simple late summer or early fall recipe that requires no soup stock.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/4 cup short-grain rice
- 2 -3 medium zucchini or 2 -3 medium other summer squash, shredded
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, more to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1Put oil in a deep saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 2 or 3 minutes. Add rice and stir to coat with oil, then continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- 2Add zucchini along with a light sprinkle of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Stir constantly for a couple of minutes, until zucchini starts to wilt and release its liquid; add about half the parsley. When mixture starts to stick to bottom of pan, stir in 6 cups water. Bring soup to a boil, and reduce heat so mixture simmers steadily. Cover and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until rice is tender and vegetables start to melt into soup.
- 3Beat eggs in a 4-cup or larger heat-resistant bowl, then whisk in the lemon juice. Take a ladle of broth from pot (be careful not to include too many vegetables) and slowly add broth to eggs, a few drops at a time at first, whisking constantly so eggs do not curdle. Repeat once or twice more, until egg mixture is thick, smooth and very warm.
- 4Adjust heat so that soup bubbles gently. Slowly add egg mixture, stirring constantly. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more lemon juice, salt and/or pepper as needed. Serve immediately, garnished with remaining parsley and, if you like, cheese.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zucchini Egg-Lemon Soup
Serving Size: 1 (126 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 132.3
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 70.5 mg
- Sodium 33.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 3.7 g