Recipe by bmcnichol
My kids will tell you they hate zucchini but yet they love this casserole - go figure :)
Top Review by bluemoon downunder
A great one dish meal and, now that I'm making breezermom's Recipe #328649 regularly, another easy to prepare and flavoursome recipe using cooked chicken which I'll be making regularly! I was so pleased that it made enough for several serves for the freezer for nights I get home just too late to feel like cooking and for several yummy take-to-work lunches. :) I added a thinly sliced leek and minced garlic (rather than the garlic powder) as well as some oregano rosemary, sage and thyme. Love onion, garlic and leek together, and always just have to include some herbs! I used low-fat sour cream which was deliciously creamy but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Thanks for sharing yet another delicious recipe, bmcnichol! Made for ZWT 5.
- 4 cups chopped leftover cooked chicken or 4 cups cooked turkey
- 6 cups diced unpeeled zucchini
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (6 ounce) package chicken flavor stuffing mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine zucchini and onion in medium pan and add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes, drain and cool.
- Combine carrots, soup, sour cream and garlic powder in a bowl.
- Add zucchini/onion and chicken and mix.
- Spread in buttered 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.
- Topping: Melt butter in skillet, add bread stuffing and seasoning packet and toss well.
- Sprinkle stuffing over casserole and top with cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until golden brown.