Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This casserole is so tasty!! The original recipe is out of the cookbook by La Leche League called Whole Foods For The Whole Family. I've adapted it to my liking.
- 946.36 ml zucchini, thinly sliced
- 158.51 ml onion, thinly sliced
- 473.18 ml tomatoes, sliced thin
- 118.29 ml green pepper, chopped
- 236.59 ml tomato sauce
- 354.88 ml cheddar cheese, grated
- 236.59 ml ricotta cheese
- 9.85 ml oregano
- 4.92 ml dried chives
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 0.25 ml pepper
- 59.14 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 59.14 ml breadcrumbs
- Grease a 3 quart casserole dish.
- Mix ricotta cheese, oregano, chives, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In order given, layer half of each: zucchini, onion, tomato, green pepper, tomato sauce, grated cheddar and ricotta mixture.
- Repeat layers.
- Top with crumbs and parmesan cheese.
- Bake, covered, at 350 for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer.
Very good. I had to make a few changes because of what I had on hand. FIrst of all, I added in fried sage sausage and used tomato soup in place of tomato sauce. I did not have chopped tomatoes and did not add the spices with the exception of hte garlic, salt and pepper. I mixed everything together in one dish and microwaved since it's hot here. It still turned out very good.
We all liked this a lot, and it was an especially big hit with my son, who loves his vegetables! It was a bit tricky spreading the ricotta mixture evenly on top of the other ingredients. Next time, I would cook the casserole for longer than the recommended 35 minutes because it was extremely crunchy (although the second helpings, kept warm in the oven, were perfect). The casserole creates a lot of lovely juices, which are very tasty mopped up with bread. Good recipe - will make again.