Recipe by Yana W.
Adapted from Simply Recipes by Elise Bauer http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/zucchini_breakfast_casserole/
- 8 eggs
- 4 cups cubed whole wheat bread (from about 4 slices)
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated low-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 cups grated zucchini (from 2-3 fresh zucchini squash)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped ripe tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F In a large bowl beat the eggs. Add the ricotta and beat until smooth. Mix in the grated cheddar cheese, cayenne or Tabasco, salt and pepper.
- Prepare the vegetables and bread. Add the tomatoes, basil, and zucchini to the egg mixture. Mix the bread cubes into the egg mixture.
- Coat the bottom and sides of a 9x13 baking dish with olive oil. Pour the egg vegetable mixture into the baking pan and even it out in the pan. Place in the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 30 minutes at 350°F The casserole should puff up and brown lightly. If it hasn't after 30 minutes at 350, increase the heat to 425° and cook for 5-10 minutes further. Remove from oven and let cool on a rack for 10 minutes before cutting into squares to serve.