Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I don't know where I got this recipe, but it has been a quick and tasty dinner dish for years.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef or 1⁄2 lb sweet Italian sausage link, removed from casing
- 1 -2 cup thinly sliced zucchini
- 1 cup chopped peeled and seeded tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, lightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, lightly crushed
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce or 1 dash other hot pepper sauce
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 4 oz) (optional)
- 2 -3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Saute the onions, garlic, and green pepper in hot olive oil for about 2 minutes.
- Crumble and stir in ground beef.
- Cook until beef is browned, then drain.
- Gently stir in remaining ingredients.
- Turn into 1 quart casserole, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F.
I made this with Italian sausage. My picky grandson ate half of it,leaving not enough for us. I will double this next time. A lovely way to use up the garden bounty - thanks!