This baked ziti is absolutely delicious and whenever I make people come back for thirds! Since it is a bit involved for me, I usually make one to bake immediately and freeze another pan to cook later, so this recipe makes two pans. Fresh basil is essential to get the right flavor.
- 3 large zucchini
- 118.29 ml olive oil
- 453.59 g ziti pasta or 453.59 g penne
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 (1587.57 g) can tomatoes (if whole, slice before cooking)
- 59.14 ml basil leaves, in strips
- 59.14 ml chopped parsley
- 59.16 ml butter
- 354.88 ml shredded mozzarella cheese
- 354.88 ml grated parmesan cheese
- Boil water and cook the ziti according to package directions.
- While it is cooking, follow next steps.
- When it is done, drain and set aside in large bowl (or pot).
- Slice the zucchini.
- In a skillet, heat 1/4 cup olive oil and fry the zucchini until browned on both sides.
- Take them out of the pan and drain on paper towels.
- In a saucepan, heat the remaining 1/4 cup oil.
- Add the onion and cook until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, basil, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour into large bowl with the drained ziti.
- Rub two shallow baking pans with olive oil.
- In the first pan, put 1/4 of the ziti, then 1/4 of the zucchini.
- Dot with butter, add 1/4 of the mozzarella and then 1/4 of the Parmesan.
- Repeat the layers in that pan.
- Repeat above steps for second pan.
- Bake pans in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes until the top is brown and crusty.
- OR BAKE ONE, FREEZE ONE!
- OR FREEZE BOTH: Cover the other pan tightly with aluminum foil and freeze.
- Defrost before baking.