Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A great way to use an abundance of Zucchini. This is so easy, so creamy and so very, very nice. This soup can be frozen or kept for 2 days in the fridge. If you don't have fresh Basil, a basil pesto can be used. Also vegetable stock can be used instead of chicken stock.
- Fry onion gently until transparent, taking care not to brown it. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Add vegetables, stock and water, and simmer for 10 minutes (taking care not to simmer any longer than this to avoid the soup becoming bitter).
- Add cheese,cream and basil and simmer a further 2 minutes. (At this stage you can blend the soup for smooth and creamy finish, but this is not necessary).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste if desired.
- Serve with a thick crusty bread.
This was really delicious soup! I changed it a tad to make it vegetarian and because I wanted to reduce the amount of saturated fat and cholesterol without losing the terrific flavor. I used vegan chicken stock, 1 Tbsp vegetable oil, and used cashew (nondairy) cream. Other than that I followed the recipe as is and my family was very pleased with the results. I didn't use any optional seasonings and didn't blend the soup. I think I'll make this soup again. Thanks! Made for Make My Recipe Tag.
YUM!! This is a delightful fresh tasting soup. I only had 150ml cream so I topped up with milk with great results. When serving I added a little salt and heaps of freshly ground pepper. This is a winning soup thats cheap and quick n easy to prepare. Thanks for sharing!