Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
If you love crab cakes and live in an area where fresh crabmeat is not available, these are a great substitution! They really do taste like crabcakes! Make sure to handle the mixture gently when forming into patties.
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (may add more)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (for frying)
- In a large bowl, combine zucchini, egg, butter or margarine.
- Stir in seasoned bread crumbs, minced onion and seasonings.
- Mix well.
- Shape mixture into patties (see Note).
- Dredge in flour.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot.
- Fry patties until golden brown on both sides.
- Note: For easier handling and forming into patties, flour your hands and then lightly roll mixture into a ball and pat gently into patties.
Wow! This is a really flavorful way to prepare zucchini. I added some lemon zest and grated parmesan, as well as some dried herbs (to make up for using plain bread crumbs). Then, I baked the cakes on a greased baking sheet for 15 minutes at 400, flipped them, and baked for an additional 15 min at 450 to get them nice and browned. Don't worry if they seem a little soft when they come out of the oven, they firm up as they cool a little. They even had great texture when reheated. My whole family enjoyed this recipe, especially my toddler.
A couple of years ago after an emergency room visit my mother was told not to eat fish again. With this recipe she can have her "cake" and eat it too! She loved it!
My brother makes these and I keep forgetting to get the recipe from him. I'm not that big on zucchini but these are fantastic!! Thanks for posting!
Oh, maybe you should have tagged this Zucchini "MOCK Crab" Cakes since some have tried this and don't think they taste like crab. I don't know how that's possible since there isn't a STITCH of crab listed in the indredients - go figure! LOL