Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup 2% low-fat milk, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted cake flour (sift first then measure)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 1 pinch fine salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease bottom and sides of one 9" round cake pan. Line bottom with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, half the milk, and the vanilla.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon rind and salt. Using an electric mixer, beat dry ingredients with remaining milk and butter at medium speed for 2 minutes until fluffy. Add egg mixture 1/3 at a time, mixing well and scraping down sides of bowl between additions.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean from center. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Run a thin-bladed knife around the edge of the pan, then turn cake out onto a rack until fully cooled. Peel off parchment paper before slicing.