Zingy Lemon Loaf Cake
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
The fragrance of the zest and the zing of the juice makes this a regular teatime favourite!
- Ready In:
- 170 g self raising flour
- 170 g butter
- 225 g golden caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Pre-heat oven to 190oC ; 375oF ; Gas 5.
- Grease a loaf tin or 8 x 10 inch baking tin.
- Cream butter and 170g (6oz) of sugar in a bowl until soft and fluffy.
- Gradually add the beaten eggs stirring all the time.
- Grate the rind off the lemon very finely or peel with a potato peeler and chop very finely taking care not to include any white pith.
- Mix in the lemon rind and flour.
- Stir in enough milk to make the mixture drop off a spoon with a light shake.
- Spread the mixture evenly in a greased loaf tin.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the cake is springy when touched and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooking place the lemon juice and remaining caster sugar into a small saucepan and heat until warm but not boiling (microwave works too).
- When the cake has cooked pierce all over with a skewer or fork and spoon the lemon syrup over the top.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION