Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This makes a moist, delicious quick bread that tastes great at breakfast, tea, or any time you want a little something sweet but not too sweet. It lasts several days (but only if you can keep it hidden!) and freezes beautifully. It is good with or without butter. I've had this recipe for about fifty years. I've tried other recipes for zucchini bread, but we always like this one best. Hope you enjoy it!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (or more to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger (or more to taste)
- 2 cups zucchini, grated and drained on paper towels (do not peel)
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (delicious) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease (I use butter) two 9 x 5 bread pans.
- Beat eggs well. Add sugar, oil, zests, and zucchini. Mix well.
- Combine all dry ingredients (except nuts) in a separate bowl and mix.
- Add to zucchini mixture and stir just until combined. It may still be a little lumpy.
- Fold in walnuts, if using, and pour into prepared pans.
- Bake for 65 minutes or until done, using a toothpick to test center. If the toothpick comes out clean, it is done.
- Cool for 10 to 15 minutes in pans on a rack. Then remove loaves from pans, and allow to cool completely on rack.