1 hr 10 mins
Mrs. Ambrosia's Note:
This is the best home made sloppy joe recipe I have found. I love it, I'll never be using canned sloppy joes ever again! It takes about an hour just simmering on the stove but this allows the sauce to become much more flavorful. It makes a lot, I usually freeze half of it or you can half the recipe, just be sure to half the seasonings if you do this! Got this recipe from Taste of Home - Church Suppers September 2008 magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons celery salt or 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons onion salt or 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1In a dutch oven or large skillet, cook beef and green pepper over medium heat until meat is done, drain if necessary.
- 2Stir in Tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and seasonings.
- 3Bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat, cover and cook on low heat for 30 minutes.
- 5Uncover, cook for 30-40 minutes longer or until thickened.
- 6Discard bay leaves
- 7Serves about 1/2 cup of meat on 16 hamburger buns.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zesty Sloppy Joes
Serving Size: 1 (160 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 160.2
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 38.5 mg
- Sodium 404.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 11.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: