Recipe by Mrs. Ambrosia
This is the best home made sloppy joe recipe I have found. I love it, I'll never be using canned sloppy joes ever again! It takes about an hour just simmering on the stove but this allows the sauce to become much more flavorful. It makes a lot, I usually freeze half of it or you can half the recipe, just be sure to half the seasonings if you do this! Got this recipe from Taste of Home - Church Suppers September 2008 magazine.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons celery salt or 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 2 teaspoons onion salt or 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- In a dutch oven or large skillet, cook beef and green pepper over medium heat until meat is done, drain if necessary.
- Stir in Tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and cook on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Uncover, cook for 30-40 minutes longer or until thickened.
- Discard bay leaves
- Serves about 1/2 cup of meat on 16 hamburger buns.