Recipe by Toby Jermain
I almost feel guilt making a recipe using purchased Alfredo sauce, since the real thing is so easy to make, but this is a lot healthier.
- 4 -6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, fat discarded,washed,patted dry,and cut in bite-size pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon extract (if you can find it, optional, but a great flavor addition)
- 2 teaspoons grated lemons, zest of, yellow part only
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic granules
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb sliced, cleaned mushrooms or 2 (6 ounce) jars canned mushroom slices, drained
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 (16 ounce) jarhealthy choice four-cheese alfredo sauce or 1 (16 ounce) jarmushroom alfredo sauce (or other purchased low-fat Alfredo sauce)
- 4 -5 cups cooked rotini pasta or 4 -5 cups other short pasta, cooked in boiling salted water until al dente and drained (see text, below regarding timing)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub chicken breasts with lemon oil, if using.
- Sprinkle both sides with lemon zest, pepper, and granulated garlic, and set aside for 15-minutes for flavor to develop.
- Start to heat salted water to cook the pasta, but don’t cook it until you start to make the sauce.
- Spray a large, nonstick skillet with nonstick spray, add olive oil, and place over medium heat.
- When hot, add chicken, and cook until done, but still springy to the touch, and lightly browned on both sides, about 5 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken from skillet and keep warm.
- If using fresh mushrooms, add to pan, increase heat to high, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms from pan using a slotted spatula, leaving juice behind.
- If not using fresh mushrooms, drain all excess oil from pan, leaving browned bits in pan.
- Reduce heat to medium if necessary.
- Add pasta to boiling water.
- Add lemon juice to skillet, and deglaze the pan, scraping up all browned bits from cooking chicken.
- Add mustard and Alfredo sauce, and stir until combined.
- Simmer until heated through.
- Stir in chicken and mushrooms, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low until pasta is done.
- Serve sauce over pasta and chicken.
- Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
- Serves 4.
- Note!!!! Ingredient should be LEMON OIL, not extract. Recipezaar recipe software changed it to extract and will not let me make the correction. Sorry about that!