Adapted from Farmer John's Cookbook by John Peterson (Gibbs Smith, 2006). The long months of winter greens and root vegetables are coming to a close, and what better way to tip your hat to spring eating than with asparagus? In this recipe for Asparagus and White Bean Salad, asparagus takes center stage with a cast of enthusiastic flavors like feta, lemon zest, mint and radishes. Hello spring! Served with crusty bread, this salad makes a terrific meal. SIMPLE SOLUTION: White beans provide a delectable, hearty tenderness, without overwhelming the asparagus. Tangy feta, zesty lemon, and a touch of mint gives this salad a bright and refreshing flavor. If you have a special steamer just for asparagus, in which the asparagus is steamed standing upright, cut the asparagus into pieces after steaming.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb asparagus, cut on an angle in 1-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, freshly grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup white beans, drained and rinsed (cooked or canned)
- 1/2 cup radish, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons scallions, thinly sliced
- 1Place the asparagus in a steamer basket, set over 1 1/2 inches boiling water, and cover. Steam until the spears are tender yet firm, 4 to 7 minutes depending on thickness. Drain and place in an ice water bath (or under cold water) for a moment to stop the cooking.
- 2Put the olive oil, lemon juice, fresh mint, lemon zest, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and whisk until well combined. Drain asparagus.
- 3Combine the beans, feta, radishes, and scallions in a large bowl. Add the asparagus pieces. Pour on the dressing and gently toss. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zesty Asparagus and White Bean Salad
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 185.3
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 16.6 mg
- Sodium 380.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 10.3 g