Recipe by deannabanana00
Quick, easy recipe we make on a regular basis. My 16yr old son is learning to cook and the slow cooker has been great for him to learn and put together his own ideas. (No Peppers or Onions is his one basic rule!)
Top Review by SouthernChefinConnecticut
I've made this twice now. It was pretty good the first time, but I felt that it was missing something. The second time around I sliced an onion and a green pepper, put that in with the browning sausage and then put it into the slow cooker. The bite from the onion and pepper really added a good contrast to the sweet, savory flavor of the beans and sausage.
- 6 ounces center-cut bacon
- 28 ounces baked beans (whatever flavor you like we use Original)
- 14 ounces smoked sausage (beef)
- 11 ounces hickory flavored barbecue sauce
- 1⁄4 cup a- 1 steak sauce (Bold & Spicy)
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon and drain on paper towels. While frying bacon slice smoked sausage on the bias and place all remaining ingredients (Beans, BBQ Sauce, A-1 and brown sugar) in crock pot or slow cooker. Using a small amount of the bacon grease brown the smoked sausage. Crumble bacon and place in cooker. Stir in smoked sausage. Cover and cook on low 4hrs.
- *to save time I sometimes use the precooked bacon bits, bacon is a must for my family in this dish.