Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This cake tastes the way a yellow cake should. It perfectly blends the flavors of butter, sugar, eggs, and flour. One thing, if it tastes like or has the texture of cornbread then you did something wrong.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease and flour 2 - 8 inch round pans.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
- Beat in 1/3 of the flour mixture, then 1/2 the milk, then 1/2 the remaining flour mixture, then the rest of the milk, and then finally the rest of the flour mixture. Mix until thoroughly combined but do not overmix. Overmixing can cause the gluten in the flour to overdevelop leading to a cake that rises too high and overflows the pan. If that does happen you can just trim away the edge though.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of the cake. Do not overbake.
- Cool 15 minutes before turning out onto cooling racks.
i have been baking for years,,yes from scratch,, this recipe disappointed me, the batter tasted great,, good sign, but it flooped to greesy, i followed the recipe and used cake flour,, maybe thats were i went wrong because i usally use all-purpose but wanted to try this,, hope this goes better for you,, oh this recipe is the same as David's Yellow Cake recipe,,,,,,????
This is a GREAT recipe. I was first skeptical since the other recipes I followed turned out like cornbread. BUT NOT THIS ONE!!!!!!!!!!! My cake was wonderfully light & fluffy. I will use this recipe to make my wedding cake in November.
This is a great cake that disappears fast. It is very rich, so it may be a good idea to not add 2-4 T of butter. I also baked this in a bundt pan instead of making it a layer cake.