Sour Cream Yellow Cake
Starts with a mix but tastes totally homemade from scratch. Same recipe can be used with other flavor mixes. Great when you need a last minutes dessert.
- Ready In:
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° and lightly grease and flour a 13x9 pan.
- Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl and blend on low speed of mixer for 1 minute.
- Scrape down sides with spatula.
- Increase mixer speed to medium and beat an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and tests done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack and frost as desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This is the most delicious cake I have ever made! Unlike most reviewers here, I was raised on "TV" dinners, canned veggies, and box cake mix cakes. SO I had a box of lemon cake mix and a box of instant lemon pudding mix the pantry. Found this recipe because I wanted to use up some sour cream --the remains of a larger tub. SO lemon cake mix replaced the yellow, and 4oz box of instant pudding replaced the 1/4 c sugar. Otherwise no other changes were made. Of course I made my own frosting...classic buttercream with lemon extract in addition to vanilla. I AM a frosting snob ;-) --Diana H.
Great recipe! I hate that we are cheated out of cake mix in the box every year! I buy extra boxes of chocolate and yellow cake mixes when they are on sale. I use 1/2 cup of cake mix to add to the 15 oz cake mix to get about 18 oz. Of course using 3 eggs, 1/3 cup oil for 15 0z cake mix instead of the usual 18oz cake mix makes a difference!! Sorry Betty & Duncan, you all can't fool us!
I've made this recipe several times, 2x using yellow cake mix and once using marble cake. All turned out very well, but as Jujepie did, I substituted melted butter for the oil; also used whole milk instead of water. I really dislike using cake mixes because I can always detect an artificial taste but this recipe absolutely nails it. It does taste like a homemade cake!