Recipe by Kendra Jean's Kitchen
Light, "comfort food" rolls that can be used as dinner rolls, pizza dough, calzones or sweet rolls. I've been making these luscious rolls since 1955. We love the texture and ease of shaping the dough. I hope you enjoy this recipe. Best wishes to you and yours.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup luke warm water
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 eggs
- 6 -7 cups all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften yeast in luke warm water, Cool.
- Place shortening, sugar and salt in a large.
- Add boiling water, stir until fat is melted & sugar is dissolved.
- Cool until luke warm then add yeast.
- Beat in unbeaten eggs.
- Stir in 1/2 flour, mix until smooth.
- Add remaining flour, mix til smooth.
- Place dough in greased bowl, turn dough over to coat with oil.
- Chill 2 to 24 hours.
- Shape as desired and place in greased pans.
- Brush w/melted butter.
- Set in warm place.
- When doubled in bulk, bake in preheated oven.
- Brush with melted butter after removing from the oven.
- 425 F 15 to 20 min., small rolls.
- 425 F 20 to 25 min., med. rolls.
- 400 F 25 to 30 min., lg. rolls.