Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Light, "comfort food" rolls that can be used as dinner rolls, pizza dough, calzones or sweet rolls. I've been making these luscious rolls since 1955. We love the texture and ease of shaping the dough. I hope you enjoy this recipe. Best wishes to you and yours.
- 2 (14.17 g) envelope active dry yeast
- 118.29 ml luke warm water
- 118.29 ml shortening
- 14.79 ml salt
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 473.18 ml boiling water
- 2 eggs
- 1419.54-1656.13 ml all-purpose flour
- Soften yeast in luke warm water, Cool.
- Place shortening, sugar and salt in a large.
- Add boiling water, stir until fat is melted & sugar is dissolved.
- Cool until luke warm then add yeast.
- Beat in unbeaten eggs.
- Stir in 1/2 flour, mix until smooth.
- Add remaining flour, mix til smooth.
- Place dough in greased bowl, turn dough over to coat with oil.
- Chill 2 to 24 hours.
- Shape as desired and place in greased pans.
- Brush w/melted butter.
- Set in warm place.
- When doubled in bulk, bake in preheated oven.
- Brush with melted butter after removing from the oven.
- 425 F 15 to 20 min., small rolls.
- 425 F 20 to 25 min., med. rolls.
- 400 F 25 to 30 min., lg. rolls.
These rolls came together beautifully. They were easy to work with and had wonderful texture and flavor. This makes it almost too easy to make beautiful bread.
Great tasting dough that can be used for many recipes, my fave being sweet rolls. Hey Chef#219653, some of us don't posess "The Joy of Cooking". I sure appreciate the posting of this recipe. Thanx Kendra Jean!