Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from a friend and now I am required to make it often. I could eat the filling with a spoon it is so good!
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest (I always omit as I don't like zest)
Crust and Topping
- 3⁄4 cup softened butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 1 1⁄2 cups oats (I use old-fashioned)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine condensed milk, lemon juice and zest and mix well to make filling.
- In a separate bowl, mix butter and brown sugar until well blended.
- Add flour and oats cutting in with a pastry blender (as if making a pie crust) to a coarse crumb.
- Set aside two cups of crust mixture for topping.
- Press remaining crumbs into a 9" square pan.
- Spread filling evenly over the top of crust.
- Sprinkle with remaining crust mixture, patting it gently into the filling.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a light brown.
- Cool before cutting into 2 1/4" square bars.
Not bad! I like a little thinner crust, so next ime I think I'll try doubling the filling and leaving the crust the same, and then make it in a 9x13 pan. A nice twist to the traditional lemon bar. Thanks!
I made messycook's bar recipe which is the same. These are delicious. Buttery crumb topping.