Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
With the coming of summer I think of this luscious cake. It's a lemon poke cake but is unlike others posted to this site. The lemony interior is topped with a glaze (also lemony) for a taste experience that will refresh as it pleases. It is the perfect cake for spring and summer functions. This is an old recipe, it's true, and I thought I had lost it. But now that I've found it again, I'm putting it here for safekeeping!
- 1 (3 ounce) package lemon Jell-O gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) package lemon velvet cake mix
- 3⁄4 cup corn oil
- cooled Jello gelatin, mixture
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of, large
- Combine the lemon jello and boiling water. Whisk to dissolve and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9- x 13-inch baking pan.
- Combine cake mix, corn oil and cooled jello mixture in a large bowl and beat to mix. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Beat in the lemon extract, if used.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
- While cake is baking combine the sifted powdered sugar and the zest and juice of the lemon.
- After removing the cake from the oven, prick the top thoroughly with a fork. Drizzle the lemon glaze all over the cake. Let cool.