Recipe by ckambic
My daughter gets so excited when she knows I'm making this. A comfort food to be enjoyed by young and old alike. It is known as Shepherd's Pie or to be more accurate, Cottage Pie. (Shepherd's Pie is made with ground lamb.) Recipe is from Country Cooking recipe book and submitted by Valerie Merrill. This dish really stays hot after removing from oven. I usually dish my DD's out before serving to give it a chance to cool off a bit.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled
- 8 -12 ounces sour cream
- salt & pepper
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- minced fresh parsley (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the potatoes in a large pot, cover with water, and cook over medium-high heat until soft.
- While potatoes are cooking; in a skillet, cook beef, red pepper, and onion until meat is browned and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Add corn, soup, milk, and garlic salt.
- Mix well.
- Once the potatoes are soft, drain and mash with sour cream.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Spread meat mixture into a baking dish.
- Top with mashed potatoes.
- Drizzle with butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- For additional browning, place under broiler for a couple of minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley.