Recipe by Tessa Morales
This is a twist on the standard. Nothing beats cooking from scratch. . .I'd use a crockpot or pressure cooker, being sure to increase or decrease the liquid - haven't tried this yet.. .A friend gave it to me. . .
- 2 cups dried pinto beans
- 1 white onion, finely diced
- 1 head garlic, halved add more if you like
- 1 bunch cilantro, tied with string
- 1 small ham hocks (optional) or 1 small bacon (optional)
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak beans overnight, or quick cook.
- Place beans in a large pot and add 3 quarts water. Add onion, garlic, cilantro and ham hock or bacon, if using. Place over high heat to bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer, covered for about 1 and a half hours.
- When beans seem cooked, sprinkle with salt to taste (I use quite a bit of salt).
- Drain beans, reserve liquid.
- Put beans in saute pan over medium heat, and mash (can use potato masher). Add liquid, if necessary and mash some more. Add cheese to still hot beans, and stir.
- Reheat, if necessary.