Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This cake was made by a good friend of mine and all of us requested this cake for our birthdays. It is very rich and oh so moist. Melt in your mouth.
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups crushed pineapple
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk (Pet brand preferred)
- 1⁄2-1 cup margarine (not spread or tub product)
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix first 5 ingredients together and bake in a 9x13 pan for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- The next 6 ingredients are for the icing.
- Boil the first 3 for 2 minutes, then add the following three and spoon over warm cake.
This is a good moist cake. I followed the directions as written, and I was a little confused about the icing. I used just a 1/2 cup of margarine (oleo), and I wasn't sure if the icing needed to cook for a few minutes after the last three ingredients were added because it looked like it had too much liquid still in it. I spooned the icing on top of the warm cake, and the icing ran to the edges of the pan, so I had to spoon the coconut and nuts back to the top of the cake. The runny icing still tasted good and didn't effect the taste of the cake. If I make this cake again, I'm going to let the icing cook for a few minutes after the pecans, coconut and vanilla are added to allow the icing to thicken before I spoon it on top of the cake.