Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is corned beef done in in a manner that's quite different (I hope) from St. Patrick's Day corned beef: it's made with many of the usual holiday spices, including cloves and nutmeg, along with parsley, ground mustard, black pepper…and this dish does not include cabbage. This came from the PBS cooking show, "A Taste of History," and my getting the urge to try a saddle of venison recipe. Since I can't afford a decent-sized chunk of venison, I went out looking for a deal on a beef brisket…and there were none to be had in my area. Evidently, beef isn't a popular Christmas dish at most supermarkets; instead, they had ham and turkey sales as far as the eye could see. However, I did come across a decent-priced corned beef brisket…and that got me to wondering what could be done with it. Here is the result. Serve this dish topped with cranberry sauce, and with mashed potatoes as a side. I feel it turned out well enough for me to declare the recipe satisfactory. I hope you like it.
- 1814.36 g corned beef brisket
- 7.39 ml dried parsley
- 4.92 ml ground mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4.92 ml dried thyme
- 4.92 ml ground black pepper
- 2.46 ml ground cloves
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 1 large onion, diced
- 118.29 ml butter
- 118.29 ml orange juice
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- cranberry sauce, to top cooked beef
- Preheat oven to 265 degrees F. (If you're using a crock pot, set it on low.).
- If the corned beef came with a packet of seasoning and spices, you can discard it or save it for another meal; you won't need it here.
- Rinse the corned beef brisket, and place in an enameled oven-safe cooking pot, such as a cast iron dutch oven. (The acidity of the orange juice can affect the seasoning in a bare iron pot, which is why an enameled cooking pot should be used.).
- Add spices as listed: parsley, mustard, garlic, thyme, pepper, cloves, nutmeg.
- Spread diced onion over the brisket, add butter on top.
- Pour orange juice into the pot.
- Add sliced apples on top of the onions.
- Cover the pot and place in the preheated oven.
- Cook for 8 hours. The meat will be tender enough to pull apart with a fork.
- Serve beef with cranberry sauce topping. Mashed potatoes make a good accompanying side dish.