Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I seen this while surfing various blogs - this one came from http://www.kymmco.com/
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, cut into quarters
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and quartered
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed and peeled
- 3 tablespoons finely grated meyer lemon zest (or regular lemons or sweet limes)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 4 inches cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (26-30 per pound)
- 3 tablespoons meyer lemon juice (or combination orange or sweet lime and regular lemon juice)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Put the chicken broth, onion, jalapeno peppers, garlic, lemon zest, cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, and cloves in a soup kettle and bring them to a simmer.
- Cover, lower the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain the broth through a sieve and discard the solids.
- The broth can be refrigerated or frozen for later at this point.
- If serving immediately, return the broth to the pot and bring to a low boil.
- Add the shrimp, lemon juice, salt, and hot sauce.
- Cook briefly until the shrimp are pink and firm.
- Add the cilantro, and serve.
Great flavor! A simple and elegant dish. The broth is heaven!