Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Recipe posted for ZWT II - England taken from "The Avon International Cookbook"
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water, cold
- 2 cups ricotta cheese or 2 cups cottage cheese, well drained
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2⁄3 cup currants or 2⁄3 cup raisins
- For crust, in a mixing bowl stir together flour and the 3 tablespoons sugar; cut in the 1/4 cup butter till crumbly.
- Beat egg yolk with water.
- Drizzle over flour mixture.
- Toss with fork to mix.
- On lightly floured surface, roll pastry to a 12 inch circle; fit into a 9 inch pie plate.
- Trim and flute edges.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes or till light brown. (hint - place another plate inside crust and bake for 10 minutes, this will avoid shrinkage).
- Meanwhile, for filling, combine ricotta cheese or cottage cheese, the 3/4 cup sugar, melted butter, beaten eggs, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Mix well.
- Stir in currants or raisins.
- Pour into prepared crust.
- Cover edge of pie with foil; bake in 375 degree oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil.
- Continue baking for 15 to 20 minutes more or till filling is set.