Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is the most tender grilled chicken you'll ever have. The live cultures contained in the yogurt break down the proteins and leave it juicy and tender.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 cup plain yogurt (be sure it contains live cultures!)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper (more or less)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (more or less)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (more or less)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sumaq (optional)
- In a small bowl combine all ingredients except chicken-- adjust seasoning to taste (but don't get it too salty), place in a 1 gal zip-lock bag with the chicken.
- Toss to coat chicken Marinate for 48 hrs, turning over a couple times each day.
- Grill chicken on a clean, lightly greased grill over medium heat for 5 min a side, or until done.
- Remove from heat and let it set in a covered bowl for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Can also be done under a broiler on a rack.
I used Steve's method to cook chicken that I was then going to use in my chicken salad recipe because I wanted it to be really tender ... and this really works! (I also enjoyed his "Cook's Illustrated" style of explaining just why the chicken turns out so moist - I'm a sucker for a scientific explanation on these things.) Great method, Steve! I knew there had to be a reason for yogurt's existence, other than it makes me feel guilty that it's so healthy yet I don't really like it on its own ... LOL!
Very moist and tender chicken, indeed! I added 1 tsp ground mustard, 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning, 1 tsp minced dried onion which all lended a wonderful mild flavor. It was too chilly to grill out as we had planned, so I cooked the chicken in an oven for 35 min at 400 degrees F. That being said, I DON'T recommend cooking it in the oven because like my husband said, "This tastes like boiled chicken." Definitely grill or cook in a frying pan on the stove! We will try this again during the summer.
So wonderful, I had heard of marinating chicken in yogurt and now I know why! I didn't have 48hrs so I cut my chicken into thin slices to help it marinate. It marinated for about 10 hours. I cooked it in a frying pan, it browned very nicely. I served it over curried rice. The chicken was moist and the garlic flavor was delightful! Thanks for an amazing recipe!