Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Got this from the yogitea sight. Use a food processor to slice the onions!
- 1⁄2 cup ghee
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons minced gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon kelp powder
- Heat ghee in a 4-quart pot over a medium-high flame.
- Add onions, garlic and ginger and allowing this mixture to soften and lightly brown.
- Add the balance of the spices: garlic, pepper, turmeric, caraway seeds and red chilies and cook until well done.
- Add water and bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add kelp and tamari to taste.
This does make a great main meal when you are under the weather! It`ll clear out those sinuses and chest congestion.
A very good clear soup, the tumeric not only lends flavor but also gives the broth a golden color for a very attractive presentation. While the seasonings probably make this a bit strong for large servings as a family meal main course, I would definitely use it as an appetizer soup for a multi-course meal.
The seasonings definitley give this soup a unique flavor, but I felt it was missing something. I think maybe using broth instead of water? The color was beautiful from the tumeric, but I had to add lots of tamari to get the soup not to taste like it was just well-seasoned water. Thanks for the tip to use the food processor for the onions... it made this soup come together much more easily.